Required Documents

As we work with vulnerable people we are required by the law to cary out a DBS check for every member who joins our team.  Below is a list of documents we require in order for us to apply for a DBS check for you. This page is designed to help those applying Standard DBS or Enhanced DBS to understand exactly what documents that they are required to provide for their application to be processed. Please ensure when submitting your application that you have included all the required documents, as failure to do so will mean that your application cannot be processed and will be held up until we have obtained sufficient documentation.

Standard/Enhanced DBS – The documentation required for both Standard and Enhanced DBS applications is set out by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and is as follows:

  • One document from Table 1 (included below)
  • Two other documents from any of the tables below, one of which must show proof of address

Should the applicant not be able to provide a document from Table 1 then they must instead provide the following:

  • One document from Table 2a
  • Two other documents from Table 2a or 2b

Table 1: Primary identity documents

Current and Valid Passport
Biometric residence permit
Current driving licence – photo card with counterpart (Full or Provisional)
Birth certificate – Issued at time of birth

Copies of ID documents must be signed and verified by a member of HR or a line manager

Table 2a: Trusted government documents

Current driving licence – old-style paper version
Current photo driving licence
Birth certificate – issued after time of birth
Marriage/civil partnership certificate
Adoption certificate
HM Forces ID card
Firearms licence


Table 2b: Financial and social history documents

Document Notes
Mortgage statement UK or EEA
Bank or building society statement UK and Channel Islands or EEA
Bank or building society account opening confirmation letter UK
Credit card statement UK or EEA
Financial statement, eg pension or endowment UK
P45 or P60 statement UK and Channel Islands
Council Tax statement UK and Channel Islands
Work permit or visa UK
Letter of sponsorship from future employment provider Non-UK or non-EEAonly – valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application
Utility bill UK – not mobile telephone bill
Benefit statement, eg Child Benefit, Pension UK
Central or local government, government agency, or local council document giving entitlement, eg from the Department from Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC UK and Channel Islands
EU National ID card
Cards carrying the PASSaccreditation logo UK and Channel Islands
Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal UK – for 16 to 19 year olds in full time education – only used in exceptional circumstances if other documents cannot be provided